Monday, August 17, 2009

I often get asked how I met my Frenchman. Although I would love to share some romantic love story I have to admit we met just like any young couple: in a bar. while drinking. heavily. No love at first sight or first kiss on the beautiful Pont Neuf or even a late night ride through Paris on the back of a scooter. It was simply another drunken night en boite with my girlfriends.

After becoming close with a group of Erasmus students from all over Europe, I made a habit of going out with them every Tuesday and Thursday night to take advantage of special student soirées where entry was free and the drinks were cheap. Tuesdays were spent at Duplex, an underground discothèque found on Avenue Foch just a few minutes from the Arc de Triomph. As the majority of clubs charge around 20€ just to get inside plus 15€ per drink, student nights were very enticing. This particular evening my Scottish girlsfriends and I decided to go all out and purchase a bottle of alcohol for €100 (usually 150 - 200€) thus allowing us to have our own table and even (gasp!) sit down. We had already been drinking beforehand so you could say we were already enjoying ourselves before even taking our seats. It wasn't long before we decided to hit the dancefloor. After a few vodka citrons I could feel the electro music pulsing throughout my entire body and decided I needed to ask someone to dance. Normally I wouldn't be so daring but with a little (ok a lot) of liquid courage I felt more than up to the task. I saw a group of good looking French guys near the bar and one particularly caught my eye. I grabbed his hand and pulled him up from his seat and enticed (forced) him to dance with me. Unimpressed by his moves but still very much impressed by his good looks we sat down to talk. Before long it was nearing 2AM and trying to be a responsible young adult with a job I decided it was time to go. I asked him for his phone, put my number in and said to call he if would like. I never expected to hear from him again. Low and behold the next afternoon I received a text in very bad English from him asking if he could see me again. Who knew this frog would end up being my husband! And the rest is history.....

18 comments:

Andromeda said...

Time for me to de-lurk! It's just so funny, I met my Frenchie in a very similar way! Student party, bad English, alcohol, bad dancing, etc. Thought it would just be a fun thing for a few weeks, but almost two years later, here we still are! I am sometimes embarrassed to tell people, but it's as good a way as any to meet young fun guys, non? And the alcohol certainly gives courage, which is what you need sometimes to take that chance that turns out to be the best one you ever took!

Stacy said...

That's actually a really cute story! :)

Emily Marie said...

Andromeda- no probs, I've been reading your blog for ages! And although our "how me met" story might be very embarassing I still have many romantic Parisian memories from when we were dating :)

Stacy -thanks! It was just fate I guess!

a taste of madeleine said...

I'm joining the party; I met my (now ex) frenchie in pretty much the same way.

I like that you were the forceful one. :)

Crystal said...

holla! I met Max at a bar in Lille just after I got to France...we were both drunk, he busted out some broken english, I used all the French I had..he texted me the next day and we've been together ever since. Romantic? No. Love at first sms? Yup :)

Emily Marie said...

haha, yes! Glad I'm not the only one :)

sarah said...

Too funny! When it's meant to be, it's meant to be!

americaninparis42 said...

Yep, mine was a club story as well! Except mine ended in my boyfriend's classmate having to go to the emergency room, and me filling out a police report while the french guys were trying to make instant coffee for the police...yeah that was a fun night....

MilkJam said...

met MG in a bar too, well it wasn't a drunken night, we were there for English conversation tables set up by the lectrices at the fac. his line was that i looked like Cameron Diaz and I thought he was American! lol we had our first date a week later.

La petite journaliste said...

Love this story!!

La petite journaliste said...

Love this story!!

The Bold Soul said...

I met my friend boyfriend (now my husband of 1 yr, 2 months) on a dating website. I'm in my 40s and he's in his 50s so we're past the "student party" stage. But we DID get the love at first sight part when I stepped off the #89 bus at the Luxembourg Gardens to meet him for our first lunch date... which turned into some serious kissing in the gardens, and later into dinner... and breakfast AND lunch the next day (and this was in the middle of the work-week!) We've been inseparable ever since. Now I'm MARRIED to a Frenchman and step-mom to his 3 kids, ages 20, 18 and 8. My life could not be more bizarre... and wonderful.

Little Miss Cupcake said...

just goes to show you often find the "one" in the most unexpected places when you least expect it! I actually knew from the moment we met, my now husband was a lifer. Guess this is a pretty popular blog topic: http://littlemisscupcakeparis.blogspot.com/2009/05/say-it-with-flours.html

sunshine jane said...

All i get from this is that you really just wanted a French boyfriend (husband) regardless of anything. That's pathetic.

Emily Marie said...

Actually I wasn't even looking! It's like they always say...you'll meet the right right person when you least expect it.

the yellow house in the U said...

All I get from this are some smiles at the funny stories and similarities! Alcohol and bad dancing you say...I'm going to give this a red hot go!

Cindy said...

omg.. i love it!! :)

disa said...

85cc免費影片,免費影片,免費小遊戲,免費遊戲,小遊戲,遊戲,好玩遊戲,好玩遊戲區,A片,情趣用品,遊戲區,史萊姆好玩遊戲,史萊姆,遊戲基地,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,遊戲口袋,我的遊戲口袋,小遊戲區,手機遊戲,貼圖,A片下載,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,情色,色情網站,色情遊戲,色情小說,情色文學,色情,aio交友愛情館,色情影片,臺灣情色網,寄情築園小遊戲,情色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網,情色視訊,愛情小說,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情趣用品,情趣,色情漫畫,情色網,情色a片,情色遊戲,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人交友網,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片,成人漫畫,成人文學,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室