Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Août

I'm officially starting to feel the effects of August in Paris....the Parisians have left and the tourists have taken over. My office is starting to empty out as everyone takes a month off for les grandes vacances as the French normally get around 6 weeks paid vacation per year. Working as an intern I only have 1 week but I have to admit it's pretty nice being able to roll into work around 10:30 and leave before 6.

Passing by several family-owned shops on my way to work I find similar signs in the store windows "en Vacances...Retour en Septembre, etc." Many restaurants have stacked their chairs and put down the blinds. Although it can be slightly annoying to find your local boulangerie closed, I enjoy an empty, less congested Paris. The metro is less crowded, there are parking spots, and I can actually find a velib bicycle (because whenever i don't want one, they're everywhere! How ironic.). People don't seem to be in such a hurry and I actually catch some smiles here and there. Probably because they're not Parisian, but hey - it's still pleasant.

This is how Paris should be: nice and slow. Sitting in cafés, wandering cobblestone streets, and strolling along the banks of the Seine.

6 comments:

Polly-Vous Francais said...

I adore Paris in August. Thanks for a lovely post.

Once you take a tour around the quartier and note who's open when, life resumes its pace. But the city is relaxed. You OWN it in some ways. You can breathe. And actually SEE the city.

Enjoy it! I miss it.

claudia said...

I agree that Paris is fantastic in August.
The frantic people moving up and down are gone, there is place to seat in the metro, the traffic jams on the street are gone and you can take your time to feel the atmospheres (different from square to square and from district to district) of Paris as it should be.
I remember a weekend with my husband. We stayed in this apartment http://www.paris-apartment-rent.com/studio/abbesses.html
the view was so beautiful that we hardly dared to live the terrace to go walking in Montmartre. It is an experience to do...
Claudia

STEFANIE said...

enjoy paris in the summer! ^-^

a taste of madeleine said...

This post made me smile. I'd like to see Paris like this. (Last time I left Paris in the cold January days- still so, so lovely). Enjoy these slower days

Emily Marie said...

merci :)

I'm going to have to try and get some pictures before everyone comes back!

STEFANIE said...

Oh SERIOUSLY? You bought those satin Lanvin shoes I posted about? Wow!! Come on, you have to tell me all about them! :) Are they comfy? And do the sizes run small/large? (I'v never bought Lanvin shoes so I wouldn't know which size to get, but I see you have quite the Lanvin shoe collection ^-^!)They're still too pricey for my budget though, I'm hoping for a sale-miracle. I want them so so so so bad, you wouldn't believe it. And I've been meaning to ask you this, but do you work at Lanvin, I mean as an intern? And if so, I'm so jealous of your job :) Say hi to Alber from me haha ^-^! Tell him he's the best!