Tuesday, December 2, 2008

School and Field Trips....


Classes (seem) to be going well.  I haven't gotten my exam grades yet but apparently if I don't pass a test I can still redo it during les rattrapages.  This is basically a week where you can retake exams, allowing you to "catch up" to la moyenne (12/20).  Of course I'm hoping I don't have to go through an extra set of testing but at least I know I'm not completely in la merde.

Although I find my courses way too long (3-5 hours each), I really like my professors and the class sizes.  My masters program of 75 people is split into two sections and we have class with the same group of people each time.  It's helped us get to know one another better and feel more comfortable speaking up in class.  I've made an effort to meet everyone from my group but it's obvious that the foreigners (mostly Asian) and Frenchies tend to stick to their own kind.  I am, however, the only Anglophone so I don't really belong in either group.  Some of the French girls seem very catty and tend to exclude me, which kind of sucks.  It just confirms my belief that it is nearly impossible to make French friends unless they have already had a study abroad or an international experience!

Last week we had a sort-of field trip to Versailles for class.  Apparently my professor is a historian because he knew the history behind each room, painting, sculpture, chandelier, etc within the chateau!  It was really insightful...we were actually there to learn about the history of luxury and how it began with Versailles so I got to see the castle from a very different point of view.  Did you know that as a way to show his elite status (and to draw attention to himself while dancing), Louis XIV used to have the soles of his shoes painted red, influencing this very well known designer?  Hey, I was impressed!

I will finish my job (for good!) in a couple weeks and I'm still on the lookout for a cool internship.  Cross your fingers for me!  I've had some cool interviews so I'm hopeful  :)

3 comments:

Isabelle said...

So you got to see the Jeff Koons exhibit, while in Versailles.
What did you think about it? I'm thinking about going visiting it, but I'm not sure whether it's worth it or not (I mean, it's probably packed with people, isn't it?).

Emily Marie said...

If you go during the week there won't be that many people, especially if you go during the morning. I'm not really a Jeff Koons fan so I'm probably not the best person to ask about the exhibit.

I also think that there isn't that much Koons art to see within Versailles. You're really paying to see Versailles with a small Jeff Koons "bonus." You might be disappointed if you are only going to Versailles to see his stuff......

Susan in Lille said...

Good luck with the job search!! And I would have to say that I agree with you about the French women, it is hard to become friends with many of them if they have not traveled or lived abroad. They also tend to hang out with only women they have known since college. I think it's a comfort factor thing. I find the older ones much more open and friendly. By older I mean like me...35+ (oh, ouch...).