Monday, November 24, 2008


With my new acquired student status I was able to apply for the Carte Imagine R, the heavily discounted metro pass available to Île-de-France students. Not only does it allow a reduction on transportation but simply flashing the card will get me discounts at the cinema, McDonalds, FNAC, Jean Louis David, and several other French stores. I decided to test the card out last night and see The Duchess with my sister at one of the many movie theaters on the Champs-Elysées. I'm a huge lover of English and French history and especially, period films. The lavish fashion and architectual details that are so heavily accented within these types of movies seem to make history come to life. The Duchess was no exception as it's main character, Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire, played by Keira Knightley, was a fashion icon during the late 18th century. The costumes are quite elaborate: ornate dresses with metallic brocades, tiny corsets, extravagant wigs and feathered hats, even a menswear influence that includes rows of gold buttons and sharply tailored jackets.

Of course the costumes weren't the only thing I adored about the film. The story is about an intelligent beauty, socialite, and politico stuck in a loveless marriage at a time where women had little rights and often had to tolerate marital rape and life with a live-in mistress. I am no Keira Knightley fan but I believe she gave a great performance; I definitely recommend you give it a go!