Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sorry for my recent absence; not only have I lacked the motivation to write anything but I've also had no time! I didn't mention anything because I didn't want to jinx myself, but I decided to apply to an MBA program at the last minute. I was told there might be an extra spot in the program and was asked back for an interview. I felt it went very poorly...the woman didn't seem impressed by anything I said and then told me not to take it as a failure if I didn't get in. If that doesn't say "rejected," I don't know what does!

Then, a week or so ago, I get a phone called saying I had been admise. The poor woman had to repeat herself 3 times because I didn't think I had heard correctly! So, in a span of three days I got into a university program, told my employer I could not longer work full time, and became a student again! I'm now working Mon-Wed and am in school Thurs-Sat. It's quite intense and I'm wondering if keeping my job is such a good idea. With 25+ hours of class per week plus work I don't know when I'll have the time to study, go to the gym, or even see my husband. I'm still trying to get used to the new schedule but already feel my body cursing me for not giving it enough rest.

I had class last week until Saturday evening then came home and immediately went to sleep. Sunday I woke up early to pack for a business trip to London and only came back this morning...and went immediately to work from the train station. It's like I'm swimming and can't even come up for air! What to do??!!

5 comments:

Isabelle said...

My opinion is that if you don't need the money that you make working, just quit and focus on your new student's life. Plus you don't like your job, so it's another reason to say bye bye ;)

americaninparis42 said...

That is so exciting about getting into the MBA program! I agree with isabelle, if it is possible focus on your student life and worry about your job once you have the skills to open more doors. I was thinking about doing the same thing myself down the road, keep me posted on how everything is going!

L said...

I'll be the first to encourage you to stick it out, at least for a month. I felt like I was drowning during my first few weeks of classes as well, but a month and 2 weeks in, I've gotten used to the routine. At first I felt like I had absolutely no free time, and it's true compared to just tutoring a few hours a week. But I've adjusted and it seems much more managable now. I don't know if you're doing your MBA program with an American or French university, but I have almost no "homework" in the classic sense with my French university program. We'll actually have a big test in March (as in, just like a final back in high school), so until then I just have to learn the material. There still is work though: we all have group projects that involve organizing a conference or a film festival or a big event. That might be important to consider when worrying about when you'll be able to do homework: it'll probably be really different from typical undergrad work. I know I'm glad I made the sacrifice and turned down a job offer (temporary though it was) because now I'll have a French degree.

Emily Marie said...

The program is a French program and although we don't really have homework, it is "controle continue" so we have exams quite often, including next week. I've actually never taken this many hours of classes before either (25-30 per week, on Thurs-Sat)! I just feel swamped and have no energy to study or to even cuddle with my sweet husband who misses seeing me!

I'll have to quit my job eventually because I need to have an internship or job that corresponds with the degree...my question is should I just quit now before I've acquired something else? Or wait until I have a solid plan?

Ksam said...

My dear, I definitely hear you on this one! With all the traveling I've been doing, I feel like I barely have time to breath lately. Things *should* calm down after Christmas though, so that's sort of what I'm holding on to. How long is your program? If it's just six months or so, I'd say maybe try to stick it out. But if it's a year +, there's no point in wearing yourself down, especially if you guys don't need the money. Plus, we miss seeing you at FNDs!! :)