Wednesday, October 29, 2008

La Crème de la Crème


Lately I've been dreaming of cupcakes (fairy cakes for all you Brits). Moist mini cakes topped with creamy frosting and sprinkles (or jimmies). Just saying those words makes my mouth water. I mean who doesn't love cupcakes? For me it brings back childhood memories of birthday parties and classroom goodies. After almost a year of tartes, macarons, and meringues, I long for that sugary goodness that can only come from what I believe is a real gâteau. What can I say I truly am gourmande (and American).

I've been imagining cupcake combinations...strawberry with buttercream, , blueberry cheesecake cupcakes, chocolate-peanut butter, even red velvet with vanilla cream cheese frosting. I know one thing I plan on buying when I'm in the U.S. over Christmas holidays....a cupcake tin! When we move into our new apartment I will finally have my first oven while living in France and I can't wait to christen it with these itty-bitty treats!

7 comments:

misplaced texan said...

Funny, I was just drooling over some carrot cake cupcakes and cream cheese frosting I saw on someone's food blog today!! You should come over sometime and we can have a baking party chez moi. Then, when you're all settled into your new digs and have your cupcake tin ready to bake, you can invite me over! ;)

Susan in Lille said...

Me too! Have your read Leesa's blog? She makes cupcakes and lives in Paris...she even caters parties if you like!! Check her out...
http://islandgirl4ever2.blogspot.com
A few pictures here to make you hungry...
http://alookatlife4ever2.blogspot.com

L said...

Does Ikea have muffin/cupcakes tins? I seem to remember someone buying one at the Ikea in Montpellier. I think I've seen potato mashers there as well. That way you don't have to bring them back in your suitcase.

Emily Marie said...

I don't know if I've ever seen one but I'll have to take a look the next time I go...which isn't too often because I go in needing one thing and come out with the whole store. Kind of like at Target in the US!

Susan in Lille said...

Oh - I bought muffin tins (just like cupcake tins) at Carrefour!

Stacy said...

Hi! I just came across your blog! I lived in Paris last year and sadly, just moved back to the States... so I've been indulging my nostalgia by reading expat blogs :o)
Re: the cupcakes, what I missed most when living in Paris was donuts until I came across Coffee Union in the 11th. You should check them out, I think they have cupcakes too-- they're super friendly and apparently, have tons of American customers come in with "real, back-home dessert" cravings :o)

Emily Marie said...

Oh yum, I'll def have to check them out!!