Monday, October 6, 2008

Back to Reality....


So here I am, my second week at my new job. It's been quite an adjustment to get back into this routine: metro, boulot (9H-18H), metro, gym, dodo. I can't complain -this is what I wanted after all. Of course I never appreciated all the free time I had before and now I long for it! Luckily I enjoy where I'm working, I like my co-workers and I really like the special coffee machine key we have that allows us up to 5 espressos (or capuccinos or mochas, etc) per day. Actually, I think that's my favorite part. Working in France, I'll have the standard 5 weeks vacation plus one RTT (reduction de temps de travail) per month. I also have 50% of my transport paid for, a very good mutuelle, and tickets- restaraunts that cover my lunch every day. I'll have to get past my 3 month periode d'essai, but once that's up I'm pretty much set. You see, in France, once you get a job it's pretty much yours for life. This is why it's so difficult to find a job in the first place, why employers are so reluctant to hire jeunes diplômés.

It's hard to believe that a week and a half ago I was holding J tightly on a scooter as we drove along the Italian coast from Positano to Praiano to Amalfi. Or that we were drinking 3€ Peroni and eating fresh mozzarella and proschiutto paninis at the local fisherman's bar just a few minutes from our hotel. Sigh.

No comments: